The Benefits of Essential Oils in Skin Care
Essential are ideally suited to skin care because they are readily absorbed through the skin and they
- have highly antiseptic properties
- help speed up the removal of old skin cells and stimulate the growth of new cells
- improve muscle tone and blood circulation
- help eliminate waste
- reduce inflammation
- regulate sebum production
- reduce the impact of emotional stress
Essential oils can be easily incorporated into a base cream, lotion, ointment, gel, mask, scrub, toilet water or perfume, and of course most of the essential oils used in skin care have an appealing scent. When giving a skin care treatment, the effect of scent is important in itself, as it is possible to achieve a considerable degree of relaxation.
The Benefits of Vegetable Oils
In Aromatherapy vegetable oils are often referred as "carrier oils". This often implies that the vegetable oils are of very little value and simply served as a carrier for essential oils. This is far from the truth. As you will soon find out, vegetable oils have many benefits in aromatherapy and skin care.
Vegetable oils extracted from nuts and seeds have played an important role in many cultures as medicines, beauty treatments and food supplements.
Vegetable Oils are used as a base or carrier oils for aromatherapy skin care treatments. They are incorporated into moisturising preparations because of their:
- emollient properties
- ability to protect the skin
- ability to prevent moisture evaporating from the skin
- ability to supply the skin with essential fatty acids and vitamins which have specific healing properties